Thursday, October 30, 2014

the damage: october!

At the end of each month this year I am planning to pause to take a look at my spending as it's related to my closet. I call these posts "the damage." Each month my target budget is $300 and only 5 pieces of clothing or shoes. I haven't even really tried to keep to the 5 pieces lately… it just wasn't working for me.  This "goal" will for sure be revised for 2015.

 For some this budget may sound like a lot and for others it may not... for me personally this is my monthly goal. It works for my budget and lifestyle and doesn't break the bank. Shopping budgets are a personal thing, but I share mine here to show how I stretch my budget and work to create a well curated and fully stocked closet.

Let's take a look at the pieces I purchased this month…

J.Crew, Buffalo Flannel Top, $89.50 paid $62.65 (seen here)
Old Navy, Cable Knit Sweater, $49.95 paid $44.95
Old Navy, Distressed Black Skinny Jeans, $34.50 paid $25
J.Crew, Side Zip Sweatshirt, $78 paid $54.60 (seen here)
Old Navy, Boxy Dress, $29.94 (seen here)
Gap, Legging Jean, $69.95 paid $34.97 (seen here)
Gap, Always Skinny Jean, $69.95 paid $34.97 (seen here)
Coach, Black Ankle Boots via TJMaxx (similar to shown), $119.99 (seen here)
Piperlime, Dolce Vita Flats, $129 paid $71.99 (seen here)

Total Spent: $534.06 (saved: $191.72)

Thoughts on the budget: For the month of September I was way under budget and October way over. Everything evens out right!?!? As 2014 comes to a close (hard to believe) I am already thinking of how I will budget for 2015.  Or if I will.  I need a plan and I will definitely work to figure that out over the coming months.  This month there were a few things that I bought in the stores that I could have gotten a better deal online. I hate when that happens and it reminds me why I love to shop online. But a good find like those Coach boots couldn't have been found online. So smart shoppers always have to do a little of both.  Overall I think I got ALOT for my money this month.  Three pairs of jeans, two pairs of shoes, a dress, two sweaters and two tops.  That's a lot of clothes for $500.

Thoughts on the pieces: I had some stock up to do for jeans this month.  A few old pairs got put in the Goodwill pile that were old and worn out or just didn't fit great.  It definitely felt good to get some new jeans in the rotation.  Besides that I had some fun finding some warm fall and winter pieces now that the cool weather is here to stay.  I also found these amazing boots at TJMaxx (where I should really shop more often!) and am thrilled with them.  For the price and quality they were a steal.  The leather is butter soft and they are really comfortable.  This month was a great month as far as investing in some winter pieces I know will get a lot of wear.


Are you budgeting your clothing purchases each month?



 

site design by kiki co.